Saturday, August 30, 2008

The emotions we cannot control(manage)

In my opinion, emotional quotient is another word for the measure of our ability to socialize and live among other beings. I believe that it is not emotionally intelligent to fall out with strangers, and that we will only lose our temper with people whom we are very familiar with, and with whom we know will forgive us ultimately.

Since young, I have always considered myself a partial hedonist. I have always had a positive outlook on life, and I try to avoid as much conflicts as possible. Besides this, I also have a ready joke wherever I go, just in case somebody needs a little cheering up. As a matter of fact, I like to consider myself the clown in everyone’s life, bringing laughter and joy into their lives. Besides this, it is not in me to carry any grudges or flare up at people easily. However, this does not mean that I do not have a temper.

I recall an incident one year ago, when I was having my afternoon nap in hall. One of my best friend chose to pour cold water on me in the middle of my sleep. I guess he thought I was one of the guys with a higher tolerance level and I would be able to take his own idea of a practical joke. At that instant, I didn’t know what happened but I just snapped, springing out of bed, screaming and battering him with whatever I could lay hands on. I remember vividly I was actually yielding a most formidable soft cotton bolster and screaming all the vulgarities I knew from my dictionary. Looking back, I guess it was a case of not being able to manage my feelings properly at that instant. With so little time to respond when awaken abruptly from a deep slumber; I neglected to react in an emotionally intelligent manner. Needless to say, I shocked my poor friend who apologized profusely on the spot. Is it possible for me to have reacted in a better way at that instant? Would I have been so angry if the prankster had been an acquaintance or a girl?

That was just a minor conflict I thought I could share. As a matter of fact, I’ve since long forgotten that incident and is actually an episode that my hall friends like to bring up for a good laugh at times.

10 comments:

jiawei said...

hi derek,

Wow, thats a terrible prank or joke on you. I can understand the shock that comes with the cold water. I think that well, under normal circumstances, anybody could have reacted that way.

I think that the thing to take away from this post is that conflicts when solved, brings us closer to one another. The best thing is the memories that we can all look back on and laugh to each other about. All friendships go through some hipcups along the way and because of that, we treasure one another.

Alicia said...

Hi Derek,

I guess we do have our erratic moments where emotions get the better of us. I remember getting really agitated that one of my friends just whacked my back for no rhyme of reason and I returned him the favour by smacking him with all my strength. It turned out to be a showdown of who get the last beat and when we’re both exhausted, we just broke out laughing at how childish we got.

I would say it is both a fun and shocking experience. Maybe it is a way of telling you that you are hot-headed the day before? If I am in your shoes I would probably run, chase and hug all the culprits and pour a pail of water on the mastermind. Or maybe you can commemorate this day by playing a similar prank on your friends and make it a yearly affair? I believe that conflicts are chances for one to discover the other facets of the others and if these conflicts do become a laughing point, the better.

In my opinion it is these small conflicts and incidents that contribute in the building of a friendship. If everything is ever so smoothing sailing, life would be really dull and mundane.

MadelineLee said...

Hi Derek,

This story you shared with us is hilarious, it made me laugh as I imagine it. No wonder people still make joke about it. At the first moment when one wakes from sleep, it would be near impossible to react "logically" especially when one is shocked. At that instant, I believe yours was a natural reaction, arose from the fight or flight mechanism. I am sure others will understand the way you reacted. Since you do not mean any hostility, it would be nice to explain to them when clear-headed.

GuangYi said...

Hey Derek

I agree with JW that this is indeed a horrible prank to be played.

This prank gives me a very army-vibe, i.e. my fellow platoon mate during my BMT did a somewhat similar prank to my other BMT mate of mine.

I dare generalise that this nature of pranks, is almost if not exclusively carried by guys on guys only. By guys, I mean boys and not man. Ha Ha!

So I guess this answers your second question? Even if the prankster would have been a girl, I believe that you would have reacted in a similar way, but maybe minus fewer profanities.

As for your first question, I believe it could be the moment of shock that your body or you received that caused you to have such a violent reaction. I think even the most "zen" person would have reacted violently to a certain extent.

What is most important is that after this prank and hurling of vulgarities, no hard feelings are being harboured between you and your prankster friend.

After all, it is all these "moments" that you will get to share with your friends for the rest of your life.

Guang Yi

Sze Min said...

Hi derek,

This incident is really very funny! I guess a person who was awaken from such a terrible joke wouldn't be reacting on a right mind. I would termed it as reflex action. So I think that it probably cannot be prevented.

So I can actually predict that some vulgarities might also be thrown even if the other party was a girl. Maybe to a much lesser extent?

Alicia said...

Edit to my post:
I've re-read my post and realised that there is something misleading. The fun and shocking experience mentioned refers to your incident. :)

Darren said...

Dear Derek,

I would still like to apologise to you again. Just in case people reading this blog do not know, I was the culprit.

It was almost 2 years ago, and I remembered thats the first time I ever saw you reacting so violently. Maybe you're very tired then or maybe you had a pretty girl in your dream and I dashed your dreams away with cold water.

But well, you've had your revenge too. I was a victim of you a few days after. Maybe this is a good way for you to remember me the rest of your life?

All the end of the day, I just want to say I really cherish this relationship between us.

XOXO,
Darren

r. said...

Hey Derek,

I guess it's only because of things like these that you will always have a deep impression in my life as a student which I will take with me through my life. If you didn't move into hall and if we were not this close to play such pranks on each other, you'll always be the guy from my year 1 tutorial class who I only see once in a while, and would be forgotten before I graduate from NUS.

Although I wasn't there to witness Darren pouring the cold water on the 'sleeping buddha', and was only there to see the bed with a wet patch, I guess I would have been just as angry as you if I were you. Like you said, everyone has a level of tolerance, I too had my share of bad experiences. Reacting to situations without taking a moment to think and acting. It's times like this where natural instincts overrule and I believe people who read of this would not disagree to your reactions.

Anyway, I'm glad you do not have a short fuse as it would make you a totally different person. The way you are, brings laughter to not only my life but i'm sure everyone around you. Keep it that way my brother, as I would always remember you this way=)

Shao Bin said...

Hi Derek,

It was my first time hear such pranks. *haha* I can imagine myself in your shoes. If I am having a good dream or was dead tired after a long day, someone did that to me, I would be very furious too and acted the same way as you, of course not the vulgarities part.

I agree with Alicia's idea. Maybe you can commemorate this day by playing a similar prank on your friends and make it a yearly affair or to those who just entered to the hall *pity*

Afterall, it is the happy and unforgettable memories that both of you will laugh at ten years down the road, and to bring the friendship closer! Maybe after this incident, you will even like and appreciate to bathe with cold water, and your tolerance level increased too!

Cheers :)

MadelineLee said...

Now, this entry makes so much sense than before.