Sunday, September 21, 2008

Intercultural Situations

I recall this incident from my backpacking trip last year. During this trip, one particular incident in the capital of Laos, Vientiane, taught me the importance of good and effective communication as well as a good understanding of the host country’s culture. As it was, my partner and me had just arrived in Vientiane after a marathon bus ride of twenty hours from the Cambodia-Laos border and I was in desperate need of a toilet.

Since it was the early hours of the day and we had to find suitable lodging for the Vientiane leg of our trip, we proceeded to check out the numerous motels around the area first. In one of the particular motel, I took the liberty of using their guest toilet after taking a look at the rooms. This was where the whole problem lied. As we were leaving the motel after having found the rooms a bit too dusty for our liking, the receptionist, whom I presume to be the owner of the motel, stopped us at the door. She was yelling at me in Lao and a mixture of her limited knowledge of English. It turned out that she believed I was taking advantage of her toilet with no intention of staying in her motel at all when the truth was that I had conveniently used her toilet after checking her available rooms. Apparently the Laos believe that the first customer of the day was the most important and they try as much as possible to seal the first deal that comes by. In this unfortunate episode, I was her first customer and in her devastated mind all I really wanted to do was to take a quick pee. She insisted on charging me 5USD for the use of the toilet. Each. The result was that I had to pay 15 Singapore dollars in order to relieve myself when I had the Mekong River right next to her motel.

This episode taught me the importance of understanding foreign culture and the powers of effective communication. I could have explained my actions to the lady if only I understood her.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Hi Derek,

While I was holidaying in Thailand, I too had a similar situation. The Thais shop owners alike the Vietnamese shop owners do believe in the tradition of securing the first deal of the day. Without prior knowledge of this tradition I was amazed at the amount of discount we got from our morning shopping spree. The many successful transactions could also be due to my father’s ability to converse in simple Thai. When one is in a foreign land, it is certainly useful to grasp simple phrases such as “Where is the toilet?” and “How to get to XX hotel?” In addition, a conscious effort must also be made to pronounce these words as accurately as possible as a slight discrepancy could result in mouthing offensive words.

Besides, learning simple phrases in the country’s native language, it is also crucial to read up on the culture of any foreign country. Though it is impossible to know everything about the culture of a country within a short span of time, information such as the local’s dining etiquette can be useful in helping one blend into a foreign country. Since I was raised in a culture where making slurping noises while dining is considered rude, it came naturally to be that I should do likewise when I am in a foreign country. However, while I was in Japan, my quiet eating habits invited stares from the locals. This experience has indeed taught me the importance of understanding the culture of a foreign land.

Timothy Huang said...

Dear Derek,

it is really unusual that there is a culture that believed in sealing the first deal of the day. Growing up in an environment here in Singapore where we have been affected by American culture, we treat all business deals equally and perhaps seldom accord such importance to one deal over the other, if all conditions are the same.

Your unfortunate episode clearly reminds us that we should approach all manners of business with a bit of caution, and try to ask the locals whenever we are unsure, to show our sincerity in trying to learn about their culture.

On a lighter note though, I felt that it was 15 Singaporean Dollars well spent, instead of suffering from burst bladders.

oxy said...

Hi Derek,

I think your encounter was kind of interesting. I did not know such culture does exist. Though it sound rather ridicules, it is still a culture practice by the country. Your experience taught us that it is important to understand some basic culture especially when you intend to travel oversea.

I agree with Alicia that even though it is impossible to know everything about the culture within a short time, finding out some basic culture such as dining etiquette may help ones to have a more enjoyable trip. Perhaps in future when traveling, we should ask the locals whenever we are unsure of certain practices by the people in the country. This not only prevents us from embarrassing ourselves, at the same time, as what Timothy had mentioned, to show our sincerity in our attempt to learn about their culture.